There are a million diets, pills, waist trainers, workouts, etc. that all claim to help you lose weight. But you know what the secret is? It all just comes down to calories in vs. calories out. At the end of the day, if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.
EVEN if you ate nothing but candy. If your body burns 2,000 calories each day and you ate 1,750 calories worth of Reese’s, you would still lose weight. Obviously, that is not the smartest way to do it…but it gets my point across! The best way to eat in a caloric deficit is to ensure you are getting mostly whole, natural foods that take up a lot of volume so you feel fuller longer.
Here are my basic tips for weight loss:
- Drink water. Make sure you are staying hydrated! Especially if you still feel hungry after a meal – wait 30 minutes and drink a full glass of water before eating more. Your body can trick you and make you think it’s hungry when it’s really just thirsty.
- Watch portions. Giving up entire foods/food groups will just make you binge later. Don’t restrict foods, but make sure you are eating everything in moderation.
- Avoid licks, nibbles and tastes. These calories can really add up if you aren’t careful.
- Pack snacks. Have healthy snacks ready for when you get hungry or feel tempted to eat something that you will regret later.
- Move. You can create a calorie deficit by eating less, but you can also create one by moving more! If you burn more calories, your deficit increases.