Being a health and fitness junkie doesn’t mean that you aren’t susceptible to cravings. I love sweets – chocolate cake being one of my favorite indulgences! If only I could invent a way to eat chocolate cake every day and still maintain a toned physique….oh wait! I found a guilt-free substitute so I guess I can! While healthy substitutes are never a replacement for the real thing, they keep me sane and satisfy my sweet tooth.
But sometimes I find that these “healthy” dessert recipes I see call for weird ingredients that I don’t have on hand like almond flour, specific protein powders (I don’t ever use protein powders), artificial sweeteners, milk substitutes, etc. There’s nothing wrong with those things, but I hate having to make a trip to a fancy specialty store just to find the ingredients. I bet you have all the ingredients to make these cupcakes in your kitchen right now!
I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is possible for them to still taste darn good without any oil, butter, sugar or flour!
These beautifully dark and rich cupcakes aren’t overly sweet, but they are dense, moist, and oh so chocolatey! If you are expecting them to taste exactly like your favorite bakery cupcake, you will be disappointed…HOWEVER they are amazingly satisfying and their STELLAR macros make up for what they lack in sweetness. There are less than 100 calories for the entire cupcake! You just cannot beat that!
I made these without adding any sweeteners to save on carbs, but you could certainly add a zero-calorie sweetener like Spenda or Truvia or even add honey if you want a more sugary taste!
The recipe below makes 12 cupcakes and I’ve included the macros for each one down at the bottom 🙂 . I can easily pop 2 or 3 in my mouth before I even know what happened!
These are heavenly with some vanilla bean Halo Top and topped with zero-calorie chocolate syrup. It’s a guilt-free brownie a la mode!
Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
¾ cup powdered peanut butter
¼ cup chocolate powdered peanut butter
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup + 1 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 packets Splenda, optional
½ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and spray the bottoms and sides with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the powdered peanut butters, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Mix with a fork until combined.
- Add in the egg, egg white, water, and vanilla and stir until all are incorporated. Add the optional Splenda and fold in about ¾ of the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tin. Top each cupcake with a few chocolate chips.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool and then enjoy!
94 calories | 11 g carbs | 3 g fat | 5 g protein